KIC 8462852 What do you think?

Discussion in 'All Things EJP' started by Eric Pepin, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Eric Pepin

Eric Pepin Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting find... KIC 8462852 What do you think?

2. RayR

RayR Administrator

I find this star fascinating. Every time scientists think they've solved it, something comes up to disprove that theory. The latest one about the comets is now "completely implausible." Right now, the "alien mega-structure" theory is as good as anything else they've come up with.

Aaron Gannon and Nikita like this.
  3. Rick

Rick Moderator

I think it's awesome that everyday we learn something new about the cosmos... Imagine what was inconceivable to know just 20 years ago that we take as fact now... Is this object a planetary anomaly or alien life? SETI always seems like they are the best source and they're on it... :) Maybe it's the first place Jodie Foster stopped in 'Contact'? LOL

http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/mysterious-star-kic-8462852

Nikita likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Maybe a cosmic ribbon is in the process of folding...

Nikita likes this.
  5. Vulcanicus

Vulcanicus New Member

I can foresee a time when the students of higher balance will project their consciousness outward into the universe for a holiday in various locations and of course going to the star that you're discussing would be most interesting

Jenny L and Nikita like this.
  6. goindeep

goindeep Active Member

Nature has a way of always surprising us, even our best and brightest.

I'm not ready to call it one way or the other. Undoubtedly we will have more information on this topic in the coming months. It's at the top of my news list for sure!

What is interesting is that they had data on this star for quite a long time, since 1890 I believe and this information was forgotten in the archives only for the star and its anomalous behavior to be re-discovered by a team of citizen astronomers.

The other thing I read is that when scanning the Infrared they don't see thermal radiation being emitted by whatever is blocking the light which logically implies something is absorbing the energy and keeping it in unlike something natural which would slowly but surely radiate it back out.

All I know for certain is that if it is an alien megastructure it would change the collective consciousness of the planet in one instant and those changes would effect everything from Government, Religion, Education, News, Media etc and that should be a good thing but there is always the potential for danger and there are always threats from people in power attempting to sway our ideas and opinions, thoughts and beliefs.
    For example it would not be a far stretch to see a powerful leader who maybe didn't have the same morals as us channel his peoples resources into defense projects based on fear and that could have effects on us.

The other thing I see happening whilst this all unfolds is people in power, scientists, astronomers and so on will begin to think about how to better find celestial objects, track and monitor planets and stars. Currently our methods are pretty ancient. To find planets for example we look at the light emitted and then monitor it for changes, when they see a drop in light they can measure it and see that's its a planet and how big it is. When you think about how far some of our other technologies have come as compared with our methods in astronomy its clear that is one area that has stagnated. Just the other day Caltech mentioned they finally found evidence for a ninth planet (Planet X). They have been looking for this Planet for a long time. If it takes us such a long time to find a planet which enters our very own solar system I think its high time we needed better tech.

And on this I remember Eric a while back talking about gravitational technologies in reference to Aliens and how we will most likely eventually find and communicate with them (I remember thinking it was a very logical theory and the best i'd ever heard) and just recently we have news of the potential discovery of gravitational waves.

As a species we have a new problem that needs to be solved and you can be sure there are great people working on solving this. Here we are with the potential discovery of something totally new to us in astronomical terms, it could be alien technology or some type of natural anomaly it doesn't really matter, what matters is how we solve the problem of looking that far... we are seeing this thing 1500 years in the past and that sucks for obvious reasons but also our best telescopes are struggling to give us a good quality glimpse of this thing. What I see happening is both new technology being developed and bigger and better telescopes. In a way its a great problem to have. Maybe they develop some type of gravitational wave detecting technology that can interact with this but even then we still have the problem of speed. It still takes just as long for a gravitational wave to hit us as it does light from what we know.

Add to the above the possibility that a unique individual may be able to scan the star system in a live setting and you have the potential for something remarkable. Consciousness is still an unknown but it is likely consciousness is not governed by the same things as physical matter and if that's the case, well think of the possibilities..

There would also be an opportunity similar to the 2012 event for HBI students.

A great quote from a Chicago based Professor on the topic
    "Whatever is going on I wouldn’t bet the farm on there being aliens behind this phenomenon. Nature is full of surprises. So far the only surprise about intelligent life is how little of it there seems to be. " Hontas Farmer.

EDITED
    Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Jenny L, Sarah Padjen, Nikita and 2 others like this.
  7. Sue Bond

Sue Bond Member

Vibrational frequency change/shift coinciding with the earth magnetic flip. Now we can see each other albeit a planet, aliens, comets???

Nikita likes this.
  8. Joe S.

Joe S. Moderator

Humanity as a species first began to even 'see' other planets in 1991. Fast-forward to today where we're spreading that 'sight' and even cataloging planets and systems almost extending our view across the galaxy (100,000 light years give or take). TBH I'm less interested in the star itself (scanning it feels like visiting an old temple, perhaps it is an alien megastructure but I don't feel life there) I'm more interested in how this might inspire humanity to push forward, much like the 'race to the moon' did in the time of my parents. I love the idea of when a collective inspires itself and pushes to new heights. It's been one of the biggest downsides about sci-fi today. It's all dystopian, worlds-going-to-end, dire-straits. What happened to believing in a future where we progress? Think Star Trek, they transformed their society and got off the rock or even Star Wars and Dune. No great cataclysm required, struggles sure, but civilization and possibility. Going to the movies nowadays is like an exercise in depression at times. All for the sake of being 'believable' or 'more visceral and real'.

I still have hope in something better, beam me up Scotty.

9. SAC

SAC Guest

I'm far more interested in what you think it is Eric. Would you please share your thoughts at your leisure?

Byron likes this.
  10. RayR

RayR Administrator

Update on KIC 8462852 dated this week: Link

The Planet Hunters project discovered in the Kepler light curve that KIC 8462852 displays a unique series of aperiodic dips in brightness, the star faded by 0.2%–20% with duration from a day to weeks — such fast variations of a single main sequence star are inexplicable. Since the paper was published, scientists have been speculating on what could be causing such irregular dips. Yale University researcher Tabetha Boyajian, who first spotted KIC 8462852 signals, published a study which describes various scenarios to explain the dipping events observed in the Kepler light curve. But lately, most of the proposed scenarios are ruled out due to the lack of evidence.

We’d never seen anything like this star,
    said Boyajian.

It was really weird. We thought it might be bad data or movement on the spacecraft, but everything checked out.

[​IMG]

Is it a Dyson Star? A structure that totally encompasses the star and captures most of its power output?

The world’s top alien-hunting astronomer refused to rule out the possibility of extraterrestrial megastructure orbiting KIC 8462852 star. Also at that time, SETTI’ researchers states that they were unable to disprove the theory that a massive artificial structure is causing the mysterious light patterns spotted around the distant star.

So what is going on with this star? We don’t know, we still scratching our heads, I think. It’s a mystery, but an amazing one.

The aliens idea may make this seem silly, but the data are real. Something is going on around KIC 8462852 star. I don’t know what it might be, but what I can guarantee is that when we do figure it out, it’ll be something pretty amazing.
    said Phil Plait, Slate’s Bad Astronomy blogger.

Armando Capó and SAC like this.
  11. SAC

SAC Guest

I'm wondering if it's an artificial holographic technology powered by the sun where they can layer the space inside kind of like The Tardis ( Time Lord Tech). The Hologram could be operated by AI, or could even be AI, and could also be inter-dimensional. There could be vortex's inside so they could travel wherever they wanted. Or maybe they could bring wherever they wanted to them? After all that they'll probably say it's a big cosmic dust cloud.

Ellen and Armando Capó like this.
  12. RayR

RayR Administrator

SAC and Phoenix like this.
  13. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

This is fantastic! But, to use Dr. Kaku's metaphor of the anthill that we represent, can you imagine what the global response could be if this is proved to be an alien structure? The least enlightened would run around in circles with signs, "The World is Coming to an End!" The most enlightened would be looking to assimilate the advanced civilization. The military would be trying to figure out how to destroy them before they destroy us. Trump would be figuring out a way to sell trips to the planet... and so it goes.

mdomba, Jenny L and SAC like this.
  14. Armando Capó

Armando Capó Well-Known Member

ROTFL...Hilarious!

SAC likes this.
  15. SAC

SAC Guest

Michio Kaku Rocks! I love that guy.

mdomba likes this.
  16. RayR

RayR Administrator

In an unpublished paper posted today to arXiv, Caltech astronomer Ben Montet and Joshua Simon of the Carnegie Institute describe the results of a new photometric analysis of Tabby’s Star, which was first flagged in the Kepler Space Telescope’s database by citizen science astronomers. By carefully examining all the full-frame images collected during Kepler’s observational campaign, Montet and Simon discovered something astonishing:

Not only did the star’s light output occasionally dip by up to 20 percent, its total stellar flux diminished continuously over the course of four years.

“We spent a long time trying to convince ourselves this wasn’t real. We just weren’t able to.”

[​IMG]

Following a successful crowdfunding campaign to secure time at the theLas Cumbres Observatory Global Telescope Network, Boyajian is going to observe her namesake star for a full year, with the hope of catching it in the act of flickering. If that happens, other telescopes around the world will be alerted and swiftly mobilized. We’ll be able to watch the star wink at us across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, and hopefully, decode its message.

Armando Capó likes this.
  17. RayR

RayR Administrator

Jim likes this.
  18. RayR

RayR Administrator

As I posted here, John Learned thought the blinking of KIC 5520878 seems very artificial. Learned, a neutrino physicist at the University of Hawaii, Mānoa, has a pet theory that super-advanced alien civilizations might send messages by tickling stars with neutrino beams, eliciting Morse code-like pulses. “It’s the sort of thing tenured senior professors can get away with,” he said. The pulsations of KIC 5520878, recorded recently by NASA’s Kepler telescope, suggested that the star might be so employed.

Learned's colleague, William Ditto, realized the ratio of the two frequencies driving the star’s pulsations is the Golden Mean. If you have the Kairos event classes, you realize the significance of that.

Blantonrc likes this.