How you breathe affects how you think

Discussion in 'Meditation & Higher Consciousness' started by RayR, Dec 28, 2016.

1. RayR

RayR Administrator

Researchers have discovered that the rhythm of our breathing creates electrical activity in the human brain, and the effect is slightly different depending on if we use our mouth or nose to breathe, and if we're inhaling or exhaling.

"One of the major findings in this study is that there is a dramatic difference in brain activity in the amygdala and hippocampus during inhalation compared with exhalation,"
    says neurologist Christina Zelano. "When you breathe in, we discovered you are stimulating neurons in the olfactory cortex, amygdala, and hippocampus, all across the limbic system[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]."[/FONT]

I'd like to see them take this a bit further and see how breathing affects consciousness - especially at the point where you are in between the in breath and the out breath.

What do you think?

Raymond, Jim and mdomba like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Patrick McKeown has some great info and techniques centered around nose breathing.

Raymond and Ellen like this.
  3. RayR

RayR Administrator

You can slow down or stop time during the time between the in and out breath. I stopped time within my bubble for at least 15 seconds using the technique.

Other times I've been able to stretch 30 minutes into almost an hour in my bubble. The problem was that I started a 30 minute meditation an hour before an EJP class so I almost missed the class. And I was one of the people onscreen for that class (about 3 years ago). So that wouldn't have been good for me.

Raymond, Benn and Jim like this.
  4. Benn

Benn Member

So true. It was a happy day when I discovered that I was not breathing fully into the pelvic floor, which when relaxed and opened up allow the organs to sink and pull the lungs deeper. Had no idea there was a diaphragm down there, plus the thorax diaphragm, plus the clavicles and rib cage which all work together to fully open up the breath. Changed my world.

I've also learned that it is helpful for me to massage the abdomen and solar plexus, which has helped to move and integrate energy tremendously.

Jim and Raymond like this.